Skip to Main Content

Undergraduate Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid administers federal and state funds, as well as those provided by special programs and the School itself, to ensure that you will have an opportunity to pursue higher education at the CUNY School of Labor and Urban (CUNY SLU).

Most award amounts are based on need, and you will have to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance.

The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Grants - Federal and State - Grants do not have to be repaid.

  • Loans - Loans do need to be repaid.

  • Scholarships - Scholarships can be based on academic merit or financial need and do not need to be paid back.

Federal Financial Aid Requirements

  • You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits each semester in order to be eligible for a federal loan.

  • You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York (CUNY).

  • Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.

  • To remain eligible for financial aid undergraduate students must achieve a GPA (grade point average) of:

    o 1.50 if 1-12.9 credits have been attempted

    o 1.75 if 13.0-24.9 credits have been attempted

    o 2.00 if 25 or more credits have been attempted

  • You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.

How to Apply

To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete two forms: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and, if you or your parents (for students under 24 years of age) are New York State residents and you are a full time student (12 credits or more), the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.

Both forms can be completed online. The FAFSA is available at studentaidgov. If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form, you may contact the FAFSA help line at 800.433.3243 or the Office of Financial Aid at 212.817.7460. You will be directed to the TAP application after completing the online FAFSA. For additional TAP information visit Part-time students should also complete the “Supplement Form” located in the Finances section of your CUNYfirst Student Center.

We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15. Funds are awarded on a first come, first served basis.

The FAFSA Title IV Code is 004765. The school code for TAP is 1422 

When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and it will appear on the FAFSA as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

Undergraduate students interested in borrowing loans must also complete the “Direct Loan Processing Form” located in the Finances section of your CUNYfirst Student Center.

Employer and Union Vouchers

Many employers and most unions have funds available to support worker education and skills upgrades. Talk with your employer or union representative. The School of Labor and Urban Studies can provide course registration documentation for you.