Graduate Financial Aid

There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance. The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Loans - Loans do need to be repaid.

  • Scholarships - Scholarships are usually based on academic merit and do not need to be paid back.

Federal Financial Aid Requirements

  • You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits each semester.

  • You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York.

  • Full-time graduate students should complete a master’s degree within three (3) years. Students must earn at least two-thirds of the credits that are attempted.

  • Graduate students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.

  • You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.

How to Apply

To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA form is available at If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form you may contact the FAFSA help line at (800) 433-3243 or the Office of Financial Aid at 212.817.7460.

We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15. Funds are awarded on a first come, first serve basis.

When completing the FAFSA, the Title IV Code is 004765. When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

Most award amounts are based on need, and you will have to maintain good academic standing.

Employer and Union Voucher

Many employers and most unions have funds available to support worker education and skills upgrades. Talk with your employer or union representative. The School of Labor and Urban Studies can provide course registration documentation for you.